The word Sofregit comes from the Catalan verb sofregir, meaning to “underfry” or fry lightly. In essence, you are sauteing these aromatics under low heat for an extended amount of time. This brings out wonderful depth and aroma to the sauce, which then intensifies any dish to which you add this yummy base.
Here’s how to make it!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 big red ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 4 or 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup of button or Portobello mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 1 Bay leaf
- Touch of ground cumin
- Touch of dried oregano
- Put all the ingredients together in a frying pan and sauté slowly until all vegetables are soft.
- Taste and salt if necessary (maybe it’s not!)
I cooked it over medium-low heat for about an hour until the vegetables softened and gave off water to form this delicious soupy goodness.
All Rights Reserved